A one day workshop was held at the ILRI Addis Ababa campus on 12th July 2010 with aim of; introducing potential partners and key stakeholders to the concept of index-based livestock insurance (IBLI), outlining the key relevant issues from the Marsabit pilot, and discuss our interest in developing a similar kind of product for Southern Ethiopia.
The workshop was also aimed at Updating partners and stakeholders on the opportunities and the preparatory work – the I4 proposal and the scoping mission – using this to set out the agenda for further discussion and the development of a research and implementation plan.
From the workshop, ILRI together with its partners wanted to; learn more about the relevant activities and particular interests of various key players, as well as engage potential partners and stakeholders in discussion relating to the likely relevance/feasibility of implementing IBLI for Southern Ethiopia. Where do they foresee challenges? What opportunities might exist? Where would they be willing to contribute? What are the key parameters we would need to keep an eye on or investigate further?
The workshop Participants included; Insurance companies both local as well as one based in India (Basix), Banks, Micro Finance Institutions, Non Governmental Organizations, Oromiya Regional Government representatives, local researchers, local and US based university representatives, donors and development agencies like USAID and the World Bank.
The workshop was officially opened by the Oromiya Pastoral Area Development Commission’s Commissioner; Ato Abebe Wolde.
Workshop photos: Link to http://picasaweb.google.co.uk
Workshop presentation files;
- Barrett C. B. (2010) Adapting Index Based Livestock Insurance (IBLI) for Ethiopia: Logic and design download
- Mude A. (2010) Implementing IBLI in Northern Kenya and investigating feasibility in Sothern Ethiopia download
- Joshi V. (2010) Index Based Insurance: Basix Experience download
- Meherett E. (2010) Weather Insurance in practice: Nyala Insurance company Ethiopia download
- Mitiku A. (2010) Index Based Livestock Insurance: Oromiya Insurance Company’s related products download
- Hopkins C. (2010) CARE: Projects related to IBLI download
- Wolde A. (2010) Index Based Livestock Insurance: OPADC activities and projects relevant to and complimenting IBLI download
- Chantarat S. (2010) Framing the discussion: Developing IBLI Ethiopia Agenda download
More information on the workshop can be found at the Ict- km blog